Český Krumlov State Castle and Château
Český Krumlov State Castle and Château, the second largest castle and château complex in the Czech Republic, is one of the most important monuments in Central Europe and forms one of the city's main landmarks.
Most of the castle's interiors are closed from 1 November to 31 March.
The castle museum and the castle tower are open all year round.
For details, see the Castle Tours section below.
State Castle and Château Český Krumlov
Zámek 59, 381 01 Český Krumlov
rezervace: +420 380 704 721, email: email@example.com
Availability: Český Krumlov State Castle and Châtea is located in the city center, which is a pedestrian zone. Cars can be parked on marked parking lots, the nearest are P1 Jelení zahrada and P2 Pod poštou.
Points of Interest
- in 1989, the château complex was declared a National Cultural Monument
- in 1992, the entire historic complex was inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List
- the castle complex is one of the largest in Central Europe
- it comprises forty buildings and palace structures centred around five castle courtyards and seven hectares of castle gardens
- the castle tower, with 162 steps, rises to a height of 86 m above the level of the Vltava River
- in the castle moat, bears have been bred since 1707; currently you can see two female bears named Maria Theresa and Masha and a male called Arn
Part of the château complex is the reconstructed building of the Study Centre in the first château courtyard. It offers the possibility of long-term study stays, accommodation, but also facilities for workshops, concerts and other social gatherings. More about the use of the Study Centre and hire options >
What you will see
In addition to the castle interiors, which are presented to the public by two sightseeing routes, the complex offers a wide range of other historical delicacies in the form of the castle tower, a symbol of the rich history and artistic beauty of Český Krumlov, the Baroque castle garden from the 17th century and the Baroque theatre.